Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pink Ribbon Fair

I realize that I have not been contributing to Roza's blog like I should be and I do not have any excuses as to why.  But this subject is very near and dear to my heart.  Breast Cancer has occurred twice in my family.  My grandmother, who went through treatment and survived.  She lived well into her 90's and I only lost her almost 3 years ago when she passed away from a broken heart.  I don't care what the doctors say, my grandfather had passed away almost a year to the day before her...it was a broken heart.  My mom found out she had breast cancer when she went in for her yearly mammogram.  She went through a biopsy and had her lymphnodes removed, only to find out that it had progressed.  She went through surgery to have one breast removed and then through the rounds of chemo therapy.  She lost her hair, had to wear a mask around the grandchildren...just in case they had colds or were sick...had severe headaches, nausea and sometime couldn't even eat.  But through all of it, she kept a positive attitude.  She always said that a positive attitude was half the battle, that no matter what they threw at you, you had to knock it out of the park.  In September of 2003, she was cleared of breast cancer.  But it was already too late...by the end of September she was having problems breathing.  By Thanksgiving, which is in October for us Canadians, she couldn't walk from her car to my front door without stopping 3 times to catch her breath.  She made more doctor's appointments, got prescriptions and took them faithfully.  She passed away in November from a massive heart attack.  My mom was a fighter and she was my inspiration.  She taught me that no matter what life throws your way, there is always a bright side.  For awhile after she died, I couldn't see it.  Then I joined The Relay for Life 24 hour Walk-a-thon.  With a group of friends from work and my sons, we gathered together with other teams and walked a track in groups of 2-3 people at a time for 24 hours.  I met up with some of my family members... who had also created teams, there were breast cancer survivors there and other families who had lost loved ones to breast cancer.  We celebrated the victories of the survivors but we also celebrated the lives of those who were no longer with us.  There was a Memorial Wall set up where you could post comments.  I had walked by it a few times before I stopped to actually read what was written there.  It was there I felt compelled to write a few lyrics of a song I had heard just shortly after my mother's funeral.  Brad Paisley When I Get Where I'm Going.  Please click the link to hear the song.  It is a beautiful song and even today after 9 years, it still brings a tear to my eye.  But it says everything I believe my mother would have said to me.

Anyways, enough of my life story....The Pink Ribbon Fair in collaboration with Relay For Life opened up on August 4th and goes until August 25th.  This charity event is for breast cancer, with all the proceeds of the exclusive Pink items going straight to the American Cancer Society.  That's right...100% of the hard earned money you spend on the exclusive items sold at this event go right to The American Cancer Society.  I went and checked it out today...I have tried to check it out every time they hold something like this in SL.  And I wanted to show you some of the stuff that I purchased.  There are tons of designers participating, so there is something for just about everybody. Now when I landed at the sim, the first thing I noticed what a lot of different bikinis surrounding me. Then I noticed a sign...Please Wear a Bikini and de-prim.  So I purchased a bikini, grabbed the free shades from Shadz and then got changed.



The I Need New Bikini is from [AMERICAN BAZAAR] and the shades are the free ones you can grab at the landing point from Shadz.



PARADISIS has Summer Days as there exclusive item.  This is a mesh item both the skirt and the shirt.  It also comes with the belt and bangles.



Now this is not the exclusive from Intrepid but I couldn't help but buy this.  "Worth Saving" is an off the shoulder mesh shirt that says, "Save the Boobies."



Gawk! has the Fight Girl Long Shirt as their exclusive.  Is it a shirt or is it a mini dress?  *wink, wink* guess it depends on your mood now doesn't it?



This Harem Outfit is from [SAKIDE].  The pants are mesh and come in lots of different sizes...I fit into a medium...YAY! me..usually I am a large or extra large...hehe.  The shirt comes in solid and also sheer.



The last outfit I purchased, at least for today, is Sport Pink from CHANDELLE.  The poses I have been using are from Purple Poses exclusive board and they are called "Nancy".  


You may have noticed that I didn't not put any links in here to the stores.  All these items were purchased at the Pink Ribbon Fair.  Please go and check this out and even if you don't want to buy anything track down one of the donation kiosks and put whatever little bit you can into it.  Every dollar helps to give someone another day.  I also didn't put down how much each item cost...simple explanation for that...I forget what I paid for each and every one of them and I'm too lazy to go to my account history to find out.  Everything was very reasonable in price and again there is something to please everyone at this event.

**Other things Blayze is wearing in the photos:
Hair is from Truth or ploom
Skin is from Belleza


No comments: